We hadn’t planned to see Lori and Julian and meet their little girl Shayla, but suddenly, we were having dinner with them the next day. It was wonderful that we happened to be in the area when she and her family happened to be free.
I was super excited to reconnect with my friend of 22 years and for Mike to meet her. I just wasn’t as prepared as I would usually be for such a get-together. Back in Vegas, in our stick house, I had a craft room with a corner devoted to gifts: trinkets, baubles and edibles, containers, wrapping, embellishments. The whole shebang!
In the RV, we just can’t afford to waste space on that kind of stuff. I now have a craft box, and it has to meet all my DIY needs, including gift-giving. I also need to be more mindful of expenses now that Mike’s the only one with a big income. I thought fast and created a hostess gift on the fly: four chocolate-covered pretzels accompanied by a small bottle of red wine.
- We won the wine in a raffle drawing during our first RV rally in Amana.
- The pretzels came from a box of ten that we got at discounter TJ Maxx. We kept some for us and set aside the rest for Lori.
- The tissue paper was recycled from a Cozy Tea Cart Cafe shopping bag.
- The label was repurposed from a box from the Martha Stewart Home Office line at Staples that I use for household labeling.
- The raffia was leftover from my Charmed Pumpkins project.
I simply stacked the pretzels in the tissue paper (securing the edge with clear tape), tied the ends with raffia, and added the label. It was a an easy but appealing way to thank Lori for sharing her home with us – without breaking our budget. And we could focus having a great time at our reunion!